School Council is managed by the Director of Student Leadership, Miss Dixon. We currently have around thirty dedicated and enthusiastic members from Year 7 to 13.
School Council meets once a fortnight (Wednesdays 4-5pm, currently on Zoom). It is at these meetings that the progress of current projects are discussed and new projects are initiated. Students also have the opportunity to raise any concerns they may have, or any ideas they have for improving student life in the Academy.
We regularly invite other members of staff to join our meetings to discuss things within their specific job role; for example we meet regularly with the Site Manager to talk about new developments to the site and our ideas for improving the building from a student perspective. Mr Ward often joins us for meetings to ask for feedback on aspects of life within the Academy, and to pass on concerns to the relevant members of the senior leadership team.
What are the responsibilities of Student Council?
- Represent the voice of the students;
- Debate, discuss and agree issues arising; where appropriate refer them to the SLT or the member of staff responsible;
- Organise events on an annual basis, including (but not limited to) our Community Christmas Party and Christmas Fair;
- Contribute to the smooth running of Academy events such as parents evenings and Welcome to Nunthorpe;
- Support with Year 6 Transition to ensure that our Year 6 students have the friendliest and most useful welcome to our Academy community.
How to get involved?
All good ideas start with a conversation. When you have an idea or want something new, we’re here to help you make it happen. Submit it, get your friends to support it and together we’ll put it into action. Come along and speak to Miss Dixon (or email on firstname.lastname@example.org) or check out our noticeboards around the Academy. There is no application form, interview or election – everyone is welcome! You will then be added to the ClassCharts register for school council, which is how you will receive notice of council meetings and events.