The Business Department consists of 3 full time teaching staff, delivering 2 subjects across the curriculum.
The Faculty has 4 computer rooms in the main school, two of which are equipped with tables to be used as a classroom and computer room.
Key stage 4
The Level 1/2 Technical Award in Business and Enterprise is designed for students who want an introduction to business and enterprise that includes a vocational and project-based element. The qualification will appeal to students who wish to pursue a career in the business sector or progress onto further study. The qualification has 2 assessments externally-set by NCFE: one non-exam assessment and one written examined assessment. The study of business and enterprise involves understanding key areas such as legal structures, marketing, market research, operations management, resource planning, human resources, funding, finance and business and enterprise planning.
This qualification will promote the learner’s understanding of:
- Entrepreneurial characteristics and business aims and objectives
- Business organisation, legal structures and stakeholder engagement
- Market research, market types, marketing mix and market orientation
- Human resource requirements for business and enterprise
- Operations management
- Business growth
- Sources of enterprise funding and business finance
- The impact of the external environment on business and enterprise
How the qualification is assessed
The qualification has 2 assessments externally set by NCFE: one non-externally assessed (NEA) and one written externally assessed (EA). Only one attempt at each assessment is permitted. Students will study the 8 content areas up until the December of Year 11. At this point they will begin their NEA and will have 23 hours in total to complete the assessment. Students will then focus on revision ready for their EA exam in June.
The Learning Journey
Key stage 5
A Level Business students study the Edexcel A Level Business specification and there is no requirement for students to have studied Business at Key Stage 4 in order to study Business at Key Stage 5.
In Year 12, students will study the following topics:
Theme 1 Marketing and people
- Meeting customer needs
- The market Marketing mix and strategy
- Managing people
- Entrepreneurs and leaders
Theme 2 Managing business activities
- Raising finance
- Financial planning
- Managing finance
- Resource management
- External influences
In Year 13, students will study the following topics:
Theme 3 Business decisions and strategy
- Business objectives and strategy
- Business growth
- Decision-making techniques
- Influences on business decisions
- Assessing competitiveness
- Managing change
Theme 4 Global business
- Global markets and business expansion
- Global marketing
- Global industries and companies (multinational corporations)
More information can be found on the EDEXCEL website: Edexcel AS and A level Business 2015 | Pearson qualifications.